loving to work
"The work of each will be made clear. The Day will disclose it." —1 Corinthians 3:13
One of the most basic ways we can express our love for the Lord is to work for and with Him, for we are His co-workers (1 Cor 3:9). To show love for the Lord in our work, we must:
- "Be slaves of Christ the Lord" (Col 3:24).
- "Do it for the Lord rather than for men" (Col 3:23).
- "Work at it" with our whole being (Col 3:23).
- Do only what the Lord has assigned us (1 Cor 3:5).
- Offer our work as sacrifices to the Lord (Heb 13:16).
- Do our best, so that our works are unblemished sacrifices to the Lord (see Lv 1:3).
- Work not "for perishable food but for food that remains unto life eternal" (Jn 6:27).
- Beg the Harvest-Master for more workers (Mt 9:38).
It is our privilege to work for and with the Lord. He didn't have to include us in His plan of salvation. Let's thank the Lord for letting us work in His kingdom. Let's work in thanksgiving, joy, and love.
Prayer: Father, I will serve You with gladness (Ps 100:2).
Promise: "To other towns I must announce the good news of the reign of God, because that is why I was sent." —Lk 4:43
Praise: Rhonda, a home-schooling mother, brings her three children to Mass every day. She and her husband make the Mass and the Sacraments the foundation of their children's education.
Reference: (For more teaching on this subject, order our leaflet, Job Performance for Jesus.) (Write for information about joining Presentation Ministries by becoming one of our co-workers.)
Nihil Obstat: Reverend Robert J. Buschmiller, February 17, 1998
Imprimatur: †Most Reverend Carl K. Moeddel, Vicar General and Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, March 25, 1998