Actualmente, este contenido solo está disponible en inglés.
know jesus — no fear
"Do not fear." —Matthew 10:28
Jesus gives us at least four commandments in today's Gospel reading:
- "Do not let them intimidate you" (Mt 10:26).
- "Do not fear those who deprive the body of life but cannot destroy the soul" (Mt 10:28).
- "Do not be afraid of anything" (Mt 10:31).
- "Fear Him Who can destroy both body and soul in Gehenna" (Mt 10:28).
We are fearless of men because we have the fear of the Lord (Sir 34:14). The fear of the Lord is not only the beginning of wisdom (Ps 111:10) but also of faith, which leads to love. When love is complete, it casts out all fear (1 Jn 4:18). Thus, the grace of fearlessness comes from fear of the Lord, faith, and love.
The Lord has not only commanded us to be fearless of men but has shown us how He will give us the grace of fearlessness. We must cooperate by:
- renewing our Confirmations in which we received the fear of the Lord (see Is 11:2-3),
- growing in faith through hearing God in His Word (Rm 10:17), and
- growing in love through purifying ourselves "by obedience to the truth" (1 Pt 1:22).
Be fearless in Christ.
Prayer: Father, make me miraculously courageous.
Promise: "If by the offense of the one man all died, much more did the grace of God and the gracious gift of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abound for all." —Rm 5:15
Praise: Praise You, Jesus, Son of God, love incarnate, "the Resurrection and the Life" (Jn 11:25).
Reference: (Heaven is your destiny! Are you headed in that direction? Receive insight and wisdom; attend the retreat Seek the Kingdom of God, July 3-6. To register, call 513-373-2397 or 937-587-5464.)
Rescript: †Most Reverend Joseph R. Binzer, Auxiliary Bishop, Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, February 22, 2017
The Nihil Obstat ("Permission to Publish") is a declaration that a book or pamphlet is considered to be free of doctrinal or moral error. It is not implied that those who have granted the Nihil Obstat agree with the contents, opinions, or statements expressed.