"You will be saved." —Romans 10:9
To be saved from sin, Satan, hell, and damnation and to be saved for new and eternal life in Christ, you must:
- "Confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord" (Rm 10:9).
- "Believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead" (Rm 10:9).
- Call "on the name of the Lord" (Rm 10:13).
- "Believe in the Lord Jesus" (Acts 16:31).
- Lose your life for Jesus' sake (Lk 9:24).
- Accept God's grace through faith (Eph 2:8) and good works (Jas 2:24).
- Receive "the baptism of new birth and renewal by the Holy Spirit" (Ti 3:5).
Throughout the world, hundreds of thousands of catechumens are going to their cathedrals today to celebrate with their bishops the Rite of Election. They and we have been elected, that is, chosen to be saved by Jesus, our Savior. "He saved us; not because of any righteous deeds we had done, but because of His mercy" (Ti 3:5). Let us thank, love, serve, and worship Jesus forever for choosing us to be saved. Therefore, let us live and die for Jesus, tell everyone about Him, and even more closely imitate Jesus this Lent in His fasting and faithfulness to the Father.
Prayer: Holy Spirit, teach me to fast as Jesus fasted in the desert (Lk 4:2).
Promise: "Jesus answered him, 'Scripture has it, not on bread alone shall man live.' " —Lk 4:4
Praise: Praise Jesus, tempted, crucified, and risen Savior.
Nihil Obstat: Reverend Ralph J. Lawrence, August 9, 2000
Imprimatur: †Most Reverend Carl K. Moeddel, Vicar General and Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, August 18, 2000