"Saul, still breathing murderous threats against the Lord's disciples, went to the high priest and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus which would empower him to arrest and bring to Jerusalem anyone he might find, man or woman, living according to the new way." —Acts 9:1-2
As Saul was cruising on the road to Damascus, he was likely thinking of his return trip when he would be moving a chain gang of Christians on that same Damascus road. Saul reacted to being an accomplice to the murder of Stephen by violently trying to justify his murderous sinfulness. He had been such a zealous anti-Christian that he later rated himself as the foremost sinner in the world (1 Tm 1:15), "a blasphemer, a persecutor, a man filled with arrogance" (1 Tm 1:13). Saul's conversion proved that the Lord can, does, and will convert anybody.
- There is hope for you by God's mercy, no matter what you have done.
- Pray expectantly for the most evil people in the world to be converted, particularly your enemies.
- There is hope for your marriage and family, no matter what has happened.
- Be another Ananias, courageously bringing new life in the Spirit to extremely dangerous people (Acts 9:10ff).
- Be awed by the Lord's love, power, and mercy in converting Saul.
Saul's conversion is awesome. Be awed into hope and joy.
Prayer: Father, send the Holy Spirit to give me a new perspective on those whom I have considered the most lost.
Promise: "The man who feeds on My flesh and drinks My blood remains in Me, and I in him." Jn 6:56
Praise: "Isn't this the carpenter's Son?" (see Mt 13:55) St. Joseph, you instructed the young Jesus in a dignified trade; pray for us who labor.
Rescript: †Most Reverend Joseph R. Binzer, Auxiliary Bishop, Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, September 24, 2020
The Nihil Obstat ("Permission to Publish") is a declaration that a book or pamphlet is considered to be free of doctrinal or moral error. It is not implied that those who have granted the Nihil Obstat agree with the contents, opinions, or statements expressed.